The model-based approach increases efficiency within individual organizations and on the project coordination delivery. Building information modeling can drive time and budget savings for building and infrastructure projects. Please find below some key benefits.
For designers and supply chain partners, benefits include:
- Thought the standards it is possible to increase collaboration, make delivery process easier and improve safety though the integration of all contributors including the customer and facilities managers
- Minimize design conceptual errors leading to the reduction of rework on-site through better planning and design
- Have a higher resource efficiencies.
For customers, benefits include:
- Easy to experiment with different scenarios to better understand the impact of each choice, leading to better result overall
- Early design prototyping to understand how an asset will look and operate – speeds up the approval process
- Potential reduction of energy use and carbon footprint through life-cycle modelling
- Using the optimal solutions leads to reduction in design, construction and operational costs
- Different source of data that can be integrated with facilities management programs to ensure a comprehensive set of asset data will be available on handover.
The construction industry has the challenge ahead to increase the digitization in order to be more efficient. Find below a matrix that puts the construction industry in context with other sectors. This challenge can become a big opportunity.